Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Shadow Box

Today I have a really fun post for you all to enjoy. I have been dying to try my hand at a shadow box and I finally got my chance! I found one at my local thrift store for only .75 cents! I snagged that thing up before I even knew what I was going to do with it! I have seen tons of these done by fellow crafters and I have been so jealous of how they have turned out, so I have just been itching to get my hands on one and try it out. I could have tried it out a while ago if I wanted to pay the 4.99$ at my local craft store. But, as you all know, I just couldn't do it. That is just too much for me to spend on a silly piece of wood. Anyway, I found this one and didn't know at first what I wanted to do with it, but it didn't take me long to figure out what I wanted to with it. I have had some luck with my side shop Virginia E. Photography and have decided that I owe a few thanks. I won't list on here what thanks I owe to who but they know who they are and how much I care about them!
Well, the Lady I made this for is a total "Horse Nut" so the only theme that made sense was something involving Horses or a Western look and feel. I found a great Rodeo 12x12 printed paper hidden in my stack from an old scrapbook I was asked to make. I also looked in some of the new stuff that I recently got for my very lovely sister-in-law, in that stack I found a think piece of card stock that was printed up to look like a big hunk of bark. It really looked a little on the gross side of the paper world but it sure does look amazing when put with this fabulous project!


This was how it started out, just plain thin foam cut blond pine. Most people would think that we were crazy because how excited we get from seeing something so simple, but we see past the plain dull and enjoy the visions of what is to come!


Because I am going to give it to a woman I had to make sure that I kept that rugged manly aspect that always seems to follow when doing western themes in check! So I added a butterfly and a few flowers. The little white flower is raised up to give you that wonderful 3D effect, also the Horse medallion is raised and so is the WHOLY COW block. I wanted to give it that extra little bit and raising a few pieces was the best way to do that. I took the Nature butterfly title and placed it on the out side to help draw the eye inward. This was such a fun project to start out on and I just can't wait to try my hand at another shadow box!

Thanks for stopping by!!
~Virginia E.

No comments: